Your body is like a vehicle that you drive around in, which accommodates the mind and consciousness. We are full of ideas, thoughts, dreams, and ambitions, but for us to make any of these things come true we must keep our means of transport well maintained and functioning. This doesn’t happen by itself; we have to participate. We have to give our bodies a check-up and service every now and then. In my clinic, we offer a program we call “Fine Tuning the Digestive System.” At the very least, I urge you to carry out an inspection of your “vehicle,” so that afterward you can take the other steps toward good health. Life changes are not accomplished overnight.
The authorities oblige us to keep our cars in perfect condition for reasons of road safety, and if you do not pass the appropriate vehicle inspection or roadworthiness you get a fine. Don’t you dare protest; it’s a very clear rule: your car has to be safe to prevent accidents and harm to others. I would love one day for the health system and society to set similar rules for the inspection of our bodies, obliging us to give them the minimum of care necessary to maintain their mental and physical health, and to prevent the accidents and damage that can occur when we are on the motorway of life.
It is not my intention to suggest that everyone should have colonic hydrotherapy sessions. I am merely talking about re-educating people about digestion and that they should control their weight, diet, level of physical activity, quality of rest, and how they care for their digestive and general health.
What are the immediate short-term benefits associated with colonic hydrotherapy?
- The volume of the colon—and of the gut in general—is reduced by eliminating the majority or the totality of the intestinal contents.
- A reduction in pressure on the neighboring organs and the diaphragm takes place, which leads to relaxation and improved breathing. There is a sense of relief and agreeable emptiness and well-being inside your belly.
- The reduction of the pressure inside the abdomen favors the venolympathic circulation from the legs and the hemorrhoidal area and this noticeably improves symptoms related to the retention of liquids and of venolymphatic insufficiency. It improves and helps control the effects of painful and abundant menstruation and of premenstrual syndrome.
- Decongestion and decompression of the lumbar and sacral areas of the spinal column (the accumulation of gas and of feces in the guts can press from within and causes blockages). This improves the functioning of the articulations of the hip sockets and notably relieves lumbar and sciatic pain.
- Healing and renewal. Colonic hydrotherapy has a calming and anti-inflammatory effect on the intestine walls, which soothes an irritable colon and constipation. Once cleaned of the buildup of toxic elements and old mucus, and aided by an adequate diet, the intestinal epithelium is capable of regrowing itself in about five days, generating a new lubricating mucus that favors the balance of microflora in the colon.
- Detoxification. This benefits all the body’s systems, but the most immediate effects are improvement in the psychoemotional state, including better mental functioning and reductions in insomnia, depression, anxiety, and migraines; improvements in atopic dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, and acne; retention of interstitial fluids in the connective tissue is also noticed.
And long-term effects?
- Stimulation of the immune system
- Corrected digestion, as a result of better absorption and more complete passage of nutrients and substances into the bloodstream
- Improved memory and functioning of the central nervous system
- Vitality of the intestinal mucosa with the formation of a balanced microflora
- Regular motility in the large intestine
- Positive changes to metabolism
Conditions Suitable for Colonic Hydrotherapy
Colonic hydrotherapy is recommended for all adults as a preventive measure to maintain health and well-being. It is most commonly recommended for the following conditions (previously assessed by a doctor):
- Chronic diarrhea
- Weakness or flaccidity of the colon
- Abundance of gas and flatulence
- Irritable colon
- Obesity and excess weight
- Chronic inflammatory illnesses
- Metabolic illnesses
- Skin problems
- Allergies, in general
- Menstrual problems
- Stress, insomnia, anxiety
- Circulatory problems—slow flow and return in the veins and lymph vessels, leading to water retention and swelling
- Prevention of aging
- Preparation for carrying out a colonoscopy and certain surgical procedures.
Contraindications for Colonic Hydrotherapy
The following conditions require doctor’s approval before undertaking colonic hydrotherapy treatment:
- Surgery carried out within the previous six months
- Decompensated ulcerative colitis
- Cancer of the colon
- Acute or serious cardiovascular illnesses
- Serious anemia
- Inguinal hernia
- Aortic aneurism
- Neurological illnesses